Friday, March 14, 2014

HUNTING HERITAGE





Just reached the 500-card mark of a little project called Pursue the Pennants, which is just another way of saying I'm building the groovy 1965 Topps baseball card set and blogging about it.

Only 98 cards to go. I might get there yet.




ALWAYS NICE TO GET CARD NO. 1.


Which leads me to the 500-card Topps Heritage edition that hit my Walmart's shelves late Thursday night. The redux of the classic featuring today's players obviously piqued my interest like no other Heritage release. I've never even bought a pack of Heritage until now.



NO WHIFF: THESE CARDS ARE A HOME RUN.


And after ripping three jumbo packs, it's clear I'm going to enjoy hunting Heritage.

All that's missing is the gum. This is manly-man cardboard. You'll find more gloss on your lady's lips than in these packs.



HOKEY CARTOONS ARE FAR-OUT.


Although no match for the original beauties, '65 Heritage has nearly the same vintage cardboard feel. I love holding them in my hands, shuffling them and of course reading the backs.

They're slick, only ... not.


YOU SHOULDN'T MESS WITH PERFECTION.


Another nice bonus: I got only one blue-border parallel. This Carlos Gomez is not bad looking, but why tinker with a near-perfect design? Still, I got 56 base cards and three inserts: a Gomez New Age Performers, a Frank Robinson Flashbacks and a Sandy Koufax/Yu Darvish Then & Now. 

No duplicates either. Nice.

The hunt has begun.



I LIKE THE BACK AS MUCH AS THE FRONT.



ANOTHER HIT (OR IS IT TECHNICALLY A MISS?)



ROBBY WAS RED FIRST BUT AN ORIOLE FOREVER.


2014 VINTAGE.


CALL ME CRAZY: I LIKE MANAGER CARDS.



AND DUAL ROOKIE CARDS.


HAT'S OFF TO '65 HERITAGE.

4 comments:

  1. All right! Nice to see your first encounter. I can't wait to get to the store later today to begin my 'hunt' also. And I'm looking forward to trading with you in the near future. Oh, and I'll happily take that blue bordered card off your hands if you're ever looking to trade it, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Gomez has your name on it, Mark, along with any other zany color I might get.

      Let us know what you got tonight.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to open some of this. Normally I avoid box busting, but 65T is my favorite set from the 60's. So I'd feel guilty if I didn't rip at least a pack or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not crazy. Manager cards are cool.

    ReplyDelete